Saturday 17 March 2012

Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig oraibh!


I have no idea how to pronounce it either but the message is "St Patrick's Day blessing to you all!" Or, "Fiddly diddly dee, potatoes!"

I know that a few of my Irish-born or Irish-blooded friends have been celebrating all things green today - as have a few not-so-Irish! And, Cam's Fam, I'm afraid we fall into the latter category. 

As best as I can tell, there's no luck of the Irish in our family. It did look promising for a little while on Didi's side as the 1861 Census in Bradford, Yorkshire, England noted that her great grandmother on her mother's side, Mary Anthistle, was born in Ireland. However, subsequent censuses (censii?) suggest she was a homegrown Bradford girl. 

It may yet turn out that we're a little bit Irish, particularly when there's conflicting information in different sources that I haven't been able to verify. But for the moment we'll just have to hang out for Tartan Day and get our Scottish Pride on on 1 July!

No comments:

Post a Comment